History

For more than a century, International House Philadelphia has served the scholars of the world and the Greater Philadelphia community by providing engaging residential services and compelling arts and humanities programming, welcoming hundreds of thousands of people through its doors in the process. What began here more than 100 years ago as a belief that international understanding, cooperation, and friendship can develop one person at a time, has emerged as a celebrated world-wide movement. 

Although the physical location of IHP has changed over the years, the mission has remained fundamentally the same, and traces its path from a Reverend's home in West Philadelphia in 1908, to an award-winning, purpose-built building in the heart of University City. Moving from the past and into the present, IHP is a thriving hub of activity: a home to hundreds of students and interns throughout the year, a destination for world-class arts and cultural programming, a facility for large-scale events, and a partner with many regional organizations, foundations, institutions, and businesses. 

Please visit IHP's permanent, historical exhibit, which opened to the public in February 2013, located on the main floor of the building at 3701 Chestnut Street. Through archival photographs, correspondence, newsletters, and press clippings, the exhibit illustrates the story of International House form its beginning; a story that reveals a common thread throughout the changing physical, economic, religious, and political climates that have given International House Philadelphia a prominent place among institutions that advocate for open dialogue, cultural exchange, progressive thinking, and peace.